Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Conquered

I have conquered it - that gigantic, overgrown flower bed in front of the she shed!!! It is without a doubt the hardest gardening job I have ever tackled, but I am victorious!!! The weeds are pulled, the briars are poisoned, the saplings have been dug out, and my muscles are reminding me I am almost sixty years old!!!!

But as with remodeling a house, reclaiming a garden often reveals hidden problems. Once the dangling briars were removed, we realized that the retaining wall was dangerously bowed. I wanted to cry just because I had no energy left to start unexpected repairs. Thank goodness for James!!


My sweet husband, probably realizing I was nearing a breakdown, dug out soil, buried and set posts in cement, and then pulled in the retaining wall boards with 7 in. lag screws while I just stood by and cried tears of joy and appreciation.

Then I hauled home a truck load of soil and mulch that was spread over everything. And finally it was done - my nemesis, foe, enemy, specter, was gone.

Before...
After.
During....
After.
I will stalk this garden for the next year, clippers in one hand and Round-up in the other, and turn my attention to the pathway that has been settling all summer. It needs minor adjustments and mortar. But the hard work is behind me.

I wish I had had a bottle of champagne on hand. Then I could have toasted the end of this yucky job...

To you, overgrown flower bed,
I toast the demise of your weeds and briars
and I curse their future offspring.
May bountiful bulbs adorn your future
And bring beauty to future generations!!

Until tomorrow,
Shelli









No comments:

Post a Comment