Monday, July 23, 2018

Succulents

I've jumped on the succulent bandwagon. I must admit that I have not always been a fan. Succulents just weren't as appealing to me as vibrant, lively flowers; frankly, succulents looked half dead.

But in this forest environment, I don't know, my attitude began to change.(Do succulents even belong in a woodsy environment?) I found myself giving them a second look at the nursery. Then I found my self actually lingering over them at Lowes and thinking which ones I would buy 'if I liked succulents'.

And then there was this log. It had fallen down by the dry creek bed last winter and when James went out to drag it to the burn pile, I asked him to put it behind the pole barn instead. There was just something about it and a little idea started to form.

Finally, James and I were out poking around the antique shops and came across this old syrup tray and all the pieces of a plan for a succulent garden fell into place.


James attached the syrup tray to an old rought iron stand. Then he cut the log into pieces with his chain saw. I laid a base of cypress mulch and then added the pieces of log that were hollow or had interesting cavities and I filled the cavities with succulents.


I also added some coral, rocks, and a turtle shell from my earth science teaching days.



We love it, but have NO idea how to care for succulents!!
 We'll see how it goes!

Until tomorrow,
Shelli

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks
- John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment